Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring Breakdown Part 1

I have always loved history, maybe because it came so easy to me.
I have always been an average student, never really excelling at much except for history, looking back though, I could have probably put in a little more effort on my end.

shh! don't tell my parentals :)

part one of my vacation started out at 6 am, with a stop over in Vicksburg, Mississippi
Why you ask, well the Vicksburg Military Park, the site of a Civil War Battle.

I teach about the Civil War, and only recently have learned to love the struggle in right vs. wrong, not to mention how the actions of a few can affect millions.
Besides today's generation is more concerned with the latest Call of Duty or the latest iPhone update not with military history from over a hundred years ago.

I felt like a tour guide, I even corrected a couple boy scout troops on their inaccurate history of the site, went on to have a picnic beside the national cemetery and realized that these men fought and died for an ideal that many today wouldn't even consider. It makes me sad for this generation, they will most likely not know what honor and duty mean, or what it means to sacrifice for an ideology. 

funny side note upon exiting Dallas it was cold and rainy, arriving at Vicksburg Military Park it was warm and sunny which would require a change into new clothing. So by the Illinois Monument honoring those who gallantly fought at Vicksburg, were two girls changing into shorts.
I ask my friend whether or not this is considered disrespectful and in all reality it most likely was, but her response was hilarious. Soldiers like semi-clothed girls, I'm assuming even dead ones like them too.

So to all of the civil war ghosts lingering there, you're welcome for my change from soccer pants to shorts I hope you liked my boy shorts.

now without further delay
here are some lovely photos of Vicksburg Military Park
Texas Monument

National Cemetery

brief description of long battle

Cannons lined up to fire upon the Confederates Position across the way

Entrance to the Park

No comments:

Post a Comment